***Maestro Piotr Gajewski studied with Leonard Bernstein in 1983 at the Tanglewood Music Festival in Massachusetts, where he was awarded a Leonard Bernstein Conducting Fellowship.
2. Bernstein’s masterpiece West Side Story incorporates many styles of music. Which of the following styles of music is NOT a part of West Side Story?
3. Which piece on tonight’s concert almost didn’t get published and premiered because it was controversial to the performers?
*** 2 dance companies initially rejected Prokofiev’s piece and said the rhythms were too unpredictable and the music was too quiet on stage – so he had to change the music
4. Which composer said “Living people can dance, the dead cannot” and wanted to rewrite the ending of Romeo & Juliet to be a happy story?
5. What age did tonight’s soloist; violinist Sarah Chang get accepted into Juilliard?
6. What orchestra did Sarah debut with at the age of 8?
*** Sarah not only appeared as a soloist for the first time at 8 years old, but also released her debut album in 1992 when she was only 11!
7. Other than her violin and suitcase, what did Sarah bring with her to DC?
***Fun fact, violin soloist Lara St. John travels with her pet iguana.
National Philharmonic relies on the generosity of its donors to continue bringing you the music. Your contribution is critical to our continued success.